Just thinking of the atmosphere the local shop-owners and individuals created as we approached last year’s Slow Festival brings a smile to my face. It is always wonderful when people create something special TOGETHER! All efforts and every piece of orange displayed in our town, announced: ‘something extraordinary is happening here’; ‘it promises to be fun’; ‘this town is on a mission’.
It’s the return of The EDGE Get Orange competition.
People got really creative! Do you remember which creation belongs to which business? This little exercise shows: your efforts brought dividends; you created exposure for your business.
With Slow Festival 2013 just 8 weeks away (29-31 March), it’s time once again to start thinking about how you’d like to dress your shop/business front and let’s drive our town ORANGE! This year we’d like to achieve even more exposure!
Competition Orange – the Slow Festival committee has decided to put YOU, the shop owner/manager, in charge of entering your business into this year’s competition. And YOU, the individual, will also be in charge of voting! The competition will be run through the Slow Festival facebook page (www.facebook.com/slowfestival.co.za) and winners will be chosen from the photos with the most ‘likes’ (by locals, visitors, friends, tourists) and by a panel of judges.
How will this work? It will be quite easy actually thanks to modern technology. Once you are happy with your orange creation, you take a picture – all you need for this is a cell phone – and you up-load it to “Competition Orange” on Slow Festival’s Facebook page e-mail it to email@example.com and we will place it on the Slow Festival Facebook page under “Competition Orange”.
As soon as this is done your business can be voted for (and YES you may get all your friends to vote for your business). So the sooner you have the picture of your business on the Slow Festival facebook page, the longer people can vote for your business.
What if you do not have access to a computer?
- When you are happy with the look of your business, take a photo with your cell and SMS the photo together with your business’s name to Cornel 073 870 0352.
- If you want to vote manually go to Sedgefield Tourism OR Masithandane offices – they are equipped as ‘Competition Orange poling stations’. These manual votes will be added to the ones on the Facebook page on a regular basis.
What can you win?
The top 3 ORANGE businesses will win an ad in The EDGE – compliments of The EDGE whose motto is: ‘local is lekker!’ In addition to this there is a fabulous prize for the staff member who makes the most effort to turn their shop orange AND a spot prize for one person who voted on Facebook.
Ultimately each and everyone who participates is a winner! By taking part in the competition you create additional exposure for your business!
Last year Sedgefield and the Slow Festival received approximately R1.2 Million in media and marketing exposure. Who says we can’t beat that this year!
There are also several other options for additional exposure for your businesses:
- R100 lists your business name on the Slow Festival website www.slowfestival.co.za.
- R200 will get your business name listed on the Slow Fest programme brochure.
- R350 secures your business logo on Slow Festival website AND Facebook page.
- Imagine advertising your business on the big screen! For R500 your business logo will be displayed at the drive-in for THREE nights running.
- R1300 gives you a business-card-size-ad on the Slow Festival A5 programme brochure. As per last year 10 000 brochures will be distributed in the lead up to and during the Slow Festival.
- R2300 will give you a 10x26cm advert on the Slow Festival EDGE wrap-around. 2000 extra EDGE copies were printed last year, making 8000 copies available to all.
Sponsorship/donation of prizes can be valued and the equivalent exposure above given.
Complete details of how to take part in Competition Orange and additional Marketing Exposure are listed in the letter which will be distributed to businesses during the town drive taking place during the first two weeks of February. Slow Festival Committee members will visit Sedgefield Businesses. If you are based outside of Sedgefield but would like to benefit from our marketing campaign, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to receive more info and an advert booking form.
What are the deadline dates?
- The EDGE Get Orange competition: 22 March is cut-off to submit your pics, voting by judges will start on 31st March and winners will be announced on 5th April.
- Ad bookings: 15 Feb is deadline booking for adverts.
For more information on what’s happening, events and all updates, visit Slow Festival website www.slowfestival.co.za and Slow Festival facebook page www.facebook.com/slowfestival.co.za – please LIKE IT while you visit!
Your business can profit from Slow Festival before it even starts…. You can stock orange materials for all the wonderful creations people are going to make – orange plastic, balloons, paint, ribbon, flowers, balls, hats, t-shirts and more.
Most importantly: HAVE FUN painting the town ORANGE!