The present building, designed by Sydney Grosvenor of Great Brak River and built by Arthur George Watton, was completed in 1916, a year after the West End Hotel was demolished.
The Knysna Oyster Club and the Knysna Bowling Club both had their formal beginnings on this site.
The Devereux family ran the hotel during 1935 to 1974. In 1986 the hotel was enlarged and came under management control of the Protea Hotels Group. It is presently being renovated as part of the West End Shopping Mall development and the plan is to turn it into a hotel again.