Knysna was declared a Municipality in 1882 resulting in the amalgamation of the two hamlets, Newhaven and Melville, into “The Knysna”, but had no permanent location to hold Town Committe meetings.
Around 1907 sufficient funds had been raised for the building of a hall on the Market Square in lower Queen Street, including some offices, to fulfil a joint purpose as both Town and Market Hall.
Plans were prepared by architect Paulus JC Hofman. And the builder was George Ernest Tweedy.
The Mayor Mr. HJ Templeman laid the foundation stone, made from locally sourced granite, in January 1909, followed by the Freemason ceremonial protocol. The Hall was officially opened on 25 May 1909. The hall was used for dances, the annual horticultural show, concerts, choral performances, ballet classes and also served as the electoral voting station.