History: Knysna Library (1893)

Opening of the Library in 1893 by C.W. Thesen

Opening of the Library in 1893 by C.W. Thesen Built at a cost of £1250, on land purchased from William Lloyd for £65, this sandstone building replaced an earlier public reading room of timber construction which stood on the corner of Main (previously called Church Street) and Long Streets. Built … Continue reading

Then and Now: Knysna Sawmill -> Woodmill Lane

Knysna Sawmill

The first sawmill on this site was built by The Knysna Steam Sawmills Company, established by William Lloyd of Port Elizabeth in 1875. The steam sawmill was powered by a 16 horsepower, Ransome engine imported from England. Prior to this, all cutting and working of timber from the Knysna forests … Continue reading