Sedgefield today is still decked out in orange, visitors have headed home, residents’ routines are getting back to normal after families have left (piles of laundry await), businesses are back on track, the organisers of the fourth Slow Fest are exhausted – but there are smiles all round.
This year’s Slow Festival has been an outstanding success, despite the fickle weather. The show went on regardless and fortunately all but 3 events went ahead as planned. Families and friends had fun together indoors and out, all enjoyed a full and wide range of fabulous events and not one person was left without wide smiles, warm hearts and special memories!
Everywhere one went the Slow vibe, bright smiles and vibey orange caught the eye. The Village Green bustled with colour and a steady flow of visitors to the stalls, Mitchell’s beer garden and kids play area with the Temba Train in particular being a big hit.
So what was YOUR favourite event?? The jury is out with so many to choose from but the firm favourites had to have been the Recycled Fashion Show, Anything that Floats, the drive-in, the Dog Walk and Fun Show, the Smutsville streetbash, the Parade and the Goukamma Traverse Trail Run.
The Drive In made for cosy entertainment, three nights running, there were cars with foggy windows and picnics and all recalling days gone by – how wonderful to share this particular experience with the next generation who have only the screens of iPads and smartphones to entertain them. Big Screen magic doesn’t get any better than this!
With conditions for the Dog Walk & Fun show sponsored by Simply Pets being very much on par with a British summers day, close on 60 dogs and owners donned raincoats, wellies and umbrellas and arrived in pouring rain to take part and support a wonderful cause- KAWS (Knysna Animal Welfare). Owners and dogs walked the scenic route along the lagoon’s edge, showed off and left the event wet, happy and laden with great prizes.
The Spar Goukamma Traverse presented by Vivobarefoot had trail runners raving once again as they crossed the finish line. The Vivobarefoot runners in particular commented on just how spectacular the Goukamma route was… as well as the fact that they’d never run a full 19km trail run on dune sand before and would certainly be doing some beach training for the event in future.
Blue sky was spotted momentarily during the big hit of the weekend, The Anything That Floats sponsored by Adcock and Ingram. Imaginations were fired as the spectators looked on at floats of all shapes, designs and colour taking to the water. In fact most floats this year actually even stayed afloat around the entire water course!
Abees Tavern and the Smutsville streetbash rocked the International scene with some Belgians pulling in for some local night life – they weren’t disappointed – Abees praises are being sung loud and clear on the social media forums. The Blues Concert and Albert Frost at Forest Lodge didn’t disappoint either, the music warmed up the folk and kept the audience well entertained.
Another favourite event that set the tongues wagging was the Out Of The Bin Fashion Show – recycling at its haute couture finest! Talented children paraded their gorgeously bright recycled outfits on the the Village Green with a good audience cheering them on. What creative and imaginative talent we have living in this amazing town!
The Parade on Sunday was the climax of the Festival and filled with all manner of large, bright and wonderful creatures to entertain the crowds that assembled to watch. Easter eggs were plentiful as the children ran up to grab more than their fair share from the Easter Bunny himself. The colours were an assault on the eyes with Masithandane’s spectacular ‘Slow’ banner, the red Sedge Lions, bright n beautiful lumo Little Birds of Happiness, Suz’s horse & carriage, the orange Masi drummers and minstrels and more. The ‘Minister of Arts and Vultures’ simply wowed the kids too!
We may not have been able to do anything about the weather but there was certainly no shortage of fun, laughter, quality time spent with friends and family at all the wonderful events at this year’s Slow Festival!
Photographs of the Slow Festival events are available at the following addresses:
- Amazing Creatures and Band Street Parade: http://desmondscholtz.smugmug.com/SlowFestival2013/Parade/28693315_JQkcDt#!i=2434562434&k=ChhtNPX
- Goukamma Traverse: http://desmondscholtz.smugmug.com/SlowFestival2013/Goukamma-Traverse/28691446_N26s6f#!i=2434387551&k=kvD5g3V
- Anything that Floats: http://desmondscholtz.smugmug.com/SlowFestival2013/Anything-that-Floats/28690591_ZFXpjW#!i=2434311935&k=jXmB8td
- Village Green: http://desmondscholtz.smugmug.com/SlowFestival2013/Village-Green/28693595_3stBGL#!i=2434589893&k=j6b6BNC
- Slow Fest Beauty Pageant: http://desmondscholtz.smugmug.com/SlowFestival2013/Beauty-Pagent/28689709_4QMDbR#!i=2434240443&k=RFZGhJj
- Dog Walk, Talk & Show : http://desmondscholtz.smugmug.com/SlowFestival2013/Dog-Walk/28689876_wwVwDB#!i=2434248517&k=nQXfS2g
- Easter Bunny Beach Fling: http://desmondscholtz.smugmug.com/SlowFestival2013/Easter-Bunny-Beach-Fling/28690007_gbPNQ3#!i=2434260025&k=XsT3n9T
- Out of the Bin Fashion Show: http://desmondscholtz.smugmug.com/SlowFestival2013/Out-of-the-Bin-Fashion-Show/28690220_Bzctwm#!i=2434279821&k=MwstB74