The original Standard Bank building, which stood on this site, was a double-storey built by James H. Templeton in 1894. The banking hall was on the ground floor and the manager’s dwelling above.
The builder was John Grey-Smith.
After leasing the building for many years in was purchased by the Bank in February 1919.
In 1938, plans to enlarge the building were shelved due to political uncertainty. It was only in 1952 that the building, as we see it today, was completed. In order to increase the ground floor space the top floor, with the internal staircase, was removed.
In 2007, the Standard Bank moved its offices to the new Knysna Mall. The Knysna Municipality now occupies the building.