In 1901 Mrs Andrew Hepburn lived in this house which was named “Belmont”. The building was later occupied by Archie Benn.
The property was purchased by Philip Rudolph Schoeman in 1929 who in turn sold it to forester Alfred J. Herion in 1937. Sister Louise Herion ran a private nursing home here during the 1930’s and 1940’s.
In 1981, the property was purchased by the State, consolidated with the adjacent Knysna Police Station and Court House property, and renovated by the Public Works Department as part of the Police Station extensions in 1998–2000 .