The first DR Church hall “Zaal” in Knysna was of corrugated iron construction and stood in the Main Street where the “Ou Fabriek” stands today which, prior to becoming a church hall, had served as a police station.
The first church hall on this site in Fichat Street was known as the “kleinsaal”, built in 1935 and was regularly used for Sunday School for the children.
A new hall, adjoining the “kleinsaal”, was built in 1958 to accommodate 600 parishioners. It was designed by the George based architects Smit & Fraser.The cornerstone was laid on 17 July 1958.
440 wooden chairs were purchased to furnish the extended hall, and the blackwood benches in the gallery were supplied by Fechter & Vosloo.