The property was transferred to George Cruikshank in 1881 from the Anglican Bishop of Cape Town, having bought the property from the estate of John Sutherland. Cruikshank later sold the property to James Henry Templeman, who built this house for his daughter, May Metelerkamp. The builder was LN Willis, who was then manager of Templeman’s sawmill.
In 1919, William Randolph Metelerkamp inherited the property and sold it 10 years later to Johannes Urbanus (Barney) du Preez, Knysna’s first resident dentist, who became a Town Councillor in 1926 and Mayor of Knysna in 1929.
Barney du Preez used the west half of this building for his surgery and lived with his family in the east half. He is also well remembered for his efforts in beautifying the streets and the War Memorial garden.
Dr. Langsmidt and Dr. Morgen used the western half of the house as consulting rooms in later years. The top floor was used as a nursing home.
The house has been restored.