This Victorian building was erected by Hendrik Stroebel around 1877 and sold to his daughter, Cornelia, who was married to William Groom, a well-known apothecary and photographer. He ran his business here.
William Groom was sequestrated in 1872 and the property changed hands a few times before being bought in 1903 by George Parkes Snr, founder of George Parkes & Sons of Knysna, and subsequently by his son Stephen in 1916, who raised the height of the second floor.
The property changed hands again in 1943 when bought by the lawyer and newspaper correspondent, Herbert Tidswell. The family continued to live here until 2002.
Locals will remember that the restaurant Cattle Baron was once located here. The complex is now called Oaks on Main.